Sunday, December 02, 2012

Ooh La La - St Tropez Restaurant

I am very sad to say that my all time favourite French restaurant in Auckland has closed :( but Jean Christophe is now the head chef of the Orbit Restaurant at the top of Auckland Sky Tower so all are not lost there.  St Tropez was opened for 12 years and I've been their loyal customer for 6 of those 12 years, so now I have to venture to the Orbit to sample their latest and I am super excited about it :) though to be honest, I won't be going as often just because Orbit isn't as home-y and cosy as St Tropez was.

It was back in 2007 when I was first introduced to St Tropez, to celebrate the successful defense of a PhD Oral Exam from my laboratory.  As a large group, many quality things attracted us to choose the restaurant.  St. Tropez was in Parnell, Auckland.  It was an affordable cuisine with BYO, friendly staffs and AMAZING French food to die for!  My favourite part of the restaurant was their menu, which changed frenquently and meant I always get a pleasant surprise when I haven't been for a while, or alternatively find my favourite dish is not longer on the menu, but they always replace it with something equally delicious!

Their menu was short and concise, each dish is followed with detailed descriptions what will be on your plate - which is crucial as not all of us are equally familiar with the French Cuisine or read French..  I love when a menu includes their own native language, I get to learn French and eat delicious food - Bonus!  They use to share their delightful recipes on their website, since their closure, I'll share their amazing "Apple Tarte Tatin".

Without babbling on further, here is a trip down memory lane for me with a selection of dishes I sampled back in January 2012 before I went to Europe to sample the real French food, Enjoy!

Poisson Cru


Salad of Marinate White Fish in Coconut Cream, Coriander, Ginger

Charcuterie


Peppercon Chicken Liver Pate, Pork Rillettes, Red Onion Confit, Toasted Brioche

Filet de Boeuf


Eye Fillet with pate, red wine jus, vegetables and potatoes

Porc


Pork Medallions wrapped in bacon with Parmesan, chablis cream sauce, white haricots beans

Apple Tart Tatin


Upside down apple tarte served with vanilla ice cream and creme fraiche (my all time favourite!)

Creme Brulee


French pot of cream with caramlised coating served with vanilla ice cream

No comments:

Post a Comment